Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Canon & Oce "Good Deal or Not a Good Deal"


I've always been a fan of Howie Mandels "Deal or NO Deal", I find myself trying to use my super psychic powers to pick the "right case", well, it seems I have better luck betting on the ponies, they'll be NO million dollar case for me.

A few months ago we (Print4Pay Hotel) posted a poll here on the MFP Solutions blog about the recent Canon & Oce Deal. We asked our readers.

Canon & Oce "Was this a good deal or a not so good deal?"


Here's how our readers responded!

Good Deal 55%
Bad Deal 32%
Not Sure 13%

More readers thought it was a good deal for both parties and I'd have to agree. From preivious threads from Print4Pay Hotel members, it seems that Oce had been courting a buyer for quite some time, at one point KonicaMinolta was rumored to be buying to shares of Oce over in Europe. Anyway, the business continues to consolidate and margins are still tight, talk is that's there's another major move to be made before the end of the year. The only hint I can give is that both companies have manufactured cameras.

-=Good Selling=-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the acquisition of other companies is based on the old, "market share"

the problem is most OEMs failed to look at NET PROFIT

dealers and being beat the heck and canon like many OEMs are a big part of that.

there should be more focus on helping dealer make more profit as well the OEM should be focus on that too,
NET PROFIT does NOT come from more market share, but from controlling cost.

sure we dealers need some kind of protection from the discount stores and on line sells, but the OEMs like those two areas for the increase in market share. no matter how much it kills the dealer channels.

Canon as example but not limited to, came out with "Sales-Marketing" guide lines and leadership to increase dealers numbers of machines sold.. but the strategies also destroyed the profit in the company for sales commissions. hurting service revenues in the name of machines sold.

Is the acquisition a good one? for what reason? for who?

I ask the question this way,,, was canon previously a profitable operation? were the dealers in general making a over all profit in both sales and service ?
Does canon feel they were dieing due to a lacking in their technology and the new acquisition is giving them new and innovative area?

Or is OCE a dieing entity dumping their loser off.

I am not all that bright and not making a lot of money,, but I often wonder if the difference between my self and the people up high at the (all the ) OEMs is they are no smarter than me,,, they just do not know it.

they plod forward collecting large salaries making rash moves, and then move on to a new place after awhile

For example. at Samsung there are a bunch of OLD Sharp OEM employees who are just screwing things up without helping one bit. But the newbie Koreans in the USA as far as the business goes, thought these sharp people would make them grow..

Growth for Growth sake and yet how long

I dropped my Canon dealership about 8 years ago when they wanted me to fire-drop all my techs, hire a slew of salaried sales people and let Canon OEM handle all the warranty/service on the machines I sold. and after the 3 year warranty expired force the customer to buy new again..

that crap may fly in mega big city, but not in the real world I live in.

I suppose the Idea is OCE will give Canon a machine they can package to compete with Xerox in the mega customers and national accounts... so maybe the question is totally irrelevant to us in the small people world.

Unknown said...

Annon:

Enjoyed your post! I feel your pain and the squeeze also. Dealers are subsidizing all Direct Branches, end of story!

Unknown said...

Annon:

Enjoyed your post! I feel your pain and the squeeze also. Dealers are subsidizing all Direct Branches, end of story!